Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Searching

I realize that I've forgotten to mention the guide on my five day tour of Tasmania. His name is Steve. He's a 47-year-old bald man from Launceston, Tasmania, and he's really in tune with nature and the wilderness. He loves all plant life, animal life, and fresh air. He's in good shape, eats pretty much only fruit, has been a vegetarian for over half of his life, and is a true mountain man. He likes to spend quiet time in nature creating his own hiking trails and paths. He has a lot of mountain experience and even spent a few months hiking in the Himalayas.

We had some pretty awesome conversations, Steve and I. It's interesting what people can discover about you after knowing you for only a few days (like how after only four days Nicole knows that I can never sit still, that I like to always on time, that I love food, and that I LOVE the mountains). Steve is also very observant and hit the nail on the head quite a few times in terms of my outlook on life and confusion/anxiety in moving forward.

Steve studied electrical engineering, and when he graduated from college, he said that he felt free. He had done what he was "supposed" to do (get a degree), and now he could do whatever he wanted. Well when I graduated from Tech, I felt like I had lost my freedom, those days were over. Now I am "supposed to" start a job (or at least, I feel obligated to start a job). I felt that in college I could choose my own path, but now I feel like everyday I am getting closer and closer to something I don't want to do...

Well maybe that's a little harsh... I'm pumped about consulting, really. It'll be exciting, busy, dynamic, and challenging, all things I enjoy and respond well to. I'm also really looking forward to working for my company and with my colleagues (that's one of the main reasons I chose the firm). However, I'm apprehensive and worried about the act of working- how will my mind respond? My body? My attitude? My personality?

One of my conversations with Steve started with a T-shirt I was wearing. It was one of my GT Swim and Dive shirts (surprise...), and on the back it says "One team, one goal". So Steve asked "What's your goal?", to which I responded "Good question." So that got me thinking... Here's my working conclusion: Explore the world and figure out who I am and where I belong and what makes me and those around me happy.

Steve's advice (which I believe I have known all along) is to be who you are, and then everyone around you will benefit. For example, if you are the dedicated and enthusiastic consultant who dominates the conference room with top notch analysis that requires 60 hours of work a week, and you are happy doing it, then that is what you should be doing. But if who you are is a nature fanatic and explorer at heart, then maybe you would be better off being outside in an active role.

So... this life break has become more of a time for figuring out who I am and exploring my options for my life (like career, relationships, hobbies). I'm pretty sure I've had this plan all along, that this has always been my purpose for my life break. Indeed, I find myself constantly observing and doing research while I am traveling- looking at lifestyles, job options, living locations, possible pro bono or externship projects, and exploring not only the world, but also my place in the world.

Steve thinks I will figure it out within a year; I think I will be 60 years old and still not know. Steve compared it to my summit of Cradle Mountain. He says that I saw I that could do it, prepared for it (researched, asked questions, studied maps, gathered the right gear), and did it. He predicts I'll do the same with life- find something I want to do, and do it. He says that I acknowledge that there is a structure and order to society and then go beyond it. I guess it makes sense- I walked on to a college swim team when my high school club coach thought I wasn't good enough, I joined a sorority and studied abroad when the college coach told me I wasn't allowed... Hmmm. Good times :)

No comments:

Post a Comment