Saturday, March 19, 2011

Back to the Southern Hemisphere

I've decided I really like this part of the world. Reversed waterflow, summer during my known winter months, and inverted constellations, not to mention the Southern Cross. It's a dangerous part of the world though, especially in light of the recent cyclones and earthquakes. Nevertheless, after being home from Australia for 11 days, my journey now takes me to Chile! 

This will be my first time traveling to South America, and the sixth continent of seven that I have been to! I am so excited to travel around Chile and immerse myself in the Spanish language. It has been about three years since I have used my Spanish, and I am hoping to come back more conversationally fluent. However, I am a bit nervous... I think I will be able to understand what Chileans are saying, but I might not be able to express my thoughts well in the spoken language.

I am traveling to Chile for four weeks with my friend Bailey O'Sullivan. Bailey and I went to high school together at Blessed Trinity, and we also both went to Georgia Tech and are alumni of the Ramblin' Reck Club. Woooo! Bailey is outdoorsy and sporty, she's a phenomenal kayaker and is going to be leading tours down the Nantahalla when we return from Chile. We're both looking forward to doing quite a bit of hiking in Chile and spending time in the mountains and rivers. I am so excited!

Bailey also worked in Chile for five months at this time last year. She worked at Cliffs, a resort in Patagonia. Bailey and I plan to visit her friends that she made during her internship and stay at their houses! I'm really looking forward to it! Bailey also called up her boss at Cliffs who is allowing us to visit. Judging by Bailey's pictures from her internship, it is a gorgeous place!

So here we go! Hiking, rafting, scenery, Spanish, and meeting local Chileans! That's what I call adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment