Saturday, March 19, 2011

Puerto Varas

Bailey and I arrived in Puerto Varas this morning around 10:30. It was nice to get off of the bus that we had been riding on for the last 13 and a half hours. 


Puerto Varas is a cute little town next to the large blue Lake Llanquihue (pronounced like "yankee way" haha). The lake is surrounded by the Andes Mountains, and directly across the lake are two huge volcanoes! These volcanoes are single-vent, cone shaped volcanoes and are nearly perfectly symmetrical. They both have snow on their tops year round. What a sight! I got to see the entire volcano during the bus ride into the town, but as soon as Bailey and I made it down to the lake in Puerto Varas, the tops of the volcanoes were covered in clouds.


It was still a nice sunshiny day in Puerto Varas though, and we walked along the lake front watching the sail boats and kayakers leave from the beach. I liked seeing the hotels along the waterfront that were made of wood and stone, reminding me of mountain cabins. In fact, the whole town has this outdoor, wilderness, log cabin feel. There are numerous outfitters and adventure tour offices in the center of the city, as well as outdoor apparel stores like Patagonia and Northface. I am in heaven!

Bailey and I stopped at a cafe to use some Internet and search for hostels in Puerto Varas for the night. We ended up giving the on-site manager at Cliffs a ring to let him know we were in Puerto Varas and to confirm our pick up tomorrow morning. Drake the manager said that he had someone making an airport drop off today and they could pick us up this afternoon! Hooray!! We're going to be at Cliffs tonight by dinnertime! Ah I can't wait! Ever since I saw Bailey's pictures of Cliffs from her internship last year I have wanted to go to Cliffs and to Patagonia, and now we are! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment