Friday, April 8, 2011

Yan Kee Way

Bailey and I left Cliffs and went Puerto Varas to stay with Negra, another chef from Cliffs. We had an AMAZING asado of at her house- sausage, ribs, poco de gallo salsa, and wine! Ah it was delicious!

My Spanish understanding is way better than when I first arrived in Chile. I am to the point where I no longer realize that Spanish is being spoken; it feels like everyday talking. My speech is still slow, but I've been told many times that my accent is good when I speak. There was one point when I was talking with Bailey and Negra that I didn't even realize our conversation was in Spanish, it just felt natural and normal. I have a feeling when I go home I will still be thinking in Spanish. I can't believe I'm to this point after only three weeks. No wonder Bailey's Spanish (or should I say, Chilean) is so good after her four months of working here!


Bailey, Negra, and I took a microbus in the morning to Yan Kee Way to visit Bailey's friend JP (Juan Pablo). JP was a receptionist at Cliffs when Bailey worked there and now he is a receptionist and waiter at Yan Kee Way, which is a hotel and resort on the shores of Lake Llanquihue in the shadow of Volcan Osorno. The resort is owned by an American who gave it its name because Lake Llanquihue is sounds like "Yankee Way". It's kind of tacky...


Nevertheless, we had a beautiful view of Volcan Osorno all day. We ate an awesome lunch in the lodge at Yan Kee Way, cooked by Negra's chef friend Juan, of strip steak and spinach-stuffed tomatoes with a brownie and ice cream dessert. I love that Bailey has chef friends who have chef friends! I've really enjoyed seeing the behind-the-scenes of the tourist industry during this trip. Since Bailey worked in guest relations at Cliffs last year, some of the people she worked with are now working at other resorts for this season. Since Bailey wants to visit all of them, we've been fortunate to stay at some beautiful, and otherwise exclusive, places!

In the afternoon while JP was working, Negra took Bailey and I on a hike to a waterfall at Petrohue River. It was a gorgeous place- beautiful aquamarine water against black volcanic rock with Volcan Osorno in the background. Purely picturesque. We spent the evening with JP and Negra, drinking wine and piscolas on the porch, watching the sunset change the colors of the snowcap on Volcan Osorno, and salsa dancing!

No comments:

Post a Comment