Friday, April 8, 2011

Valdivia

My Spanish is getting better! Now I am understanding and following more of conversations than before. I've been meeting a lot of Bailey's friends and families who only speak Spanish, and I have been able to speak with them well! I still get nervous sometimes and speak slowly, but I am beginning to have more and more fun meeting Bailey's friends and their friends and families.

In fact, I have some nicknames now. Alberto (El Mono) has begun calling me La Soldada (The Soldier) because he thinks I am strong and independent. I'm kind of touched by this and like his nickname for me. When I meet Bailey's friends for the first time, many of them comment that I look like either Anne Hathaway or Kiera Knightly. I think it's just that I have brown eyes and smile big, but I am flattered all the same. Her friends also call me chistosa, which means silly or funny, and Felipe at Cliffs gave me the nickname Curly Sue during the one night that I wore my hair down on this entire trip. Good times!


After leaving Pucon, Bailey and I spent a couple nights in Valdivia to hang out with Marsela, Giselle, and Ricky, who are three of Bailey's friends from a cliffs who worked as interns in the kitchen when Bailey worked there last year. It was sunny and warmer in Valdivia while we were there, which is rare in this city. Valdivia is one of the rainiest cities in Chile! We took advantage of the sunny weather by walking along the river and through the fish market. The sidewalk along the river had a huge crack down the middle that had been filled in. Bailey explained that this crack was caused during the earthquake last year.


The Valdivia river is also home to sea lions! These sea lions are huge! They lay out on the docks right next to the sidewalk. You could literally walk up to them and touch them if you like, but nobody does because they are smelly and mean. It was really neat being so close to these wild animals though!

Bailey and I visited Ricky in the chocolate shop and bakery that he is now working in. Ricky specializes in cakes, especially cheesecakes! Yuuuuumm! Bailey and I then went with Marsela to lunch and then walking around the University and Botanical Gardens in Valdivia. The Botanical Gardens are right on the university's campus- wouldn't it be neat if Tech had some botanical gardens to stroll through during the day?


Bailey, Ricky, Marsela, and I all stayed at Giselle's cabin for the night. Giselle lives a bit outside of the Valdivia city center near Niebla and Playa Los Molinos. Giselle and Marsela made pastel de papa to eat that night- it was a heavenly dish of meat, onions, and cheesy potatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment