Friday, January 28, 2011

What is a Life Break?

With my December graduation from Georgia Tech approaching, I contemplated if I wanted to start work right away. While I like to hit the ground running, especially since I'm starting a career, I decided to ask companies that I was interviewing with for a delayed start date. The original plan was to find a professional internship abroad or work on the International Olympic Committee (which is still one of my life dreams). Soon, thoughts evolved to volunteering with a non-profit group in another country, either working directly with the people the organization serves or working on internal system improvements.

After some research and seeking advice from some of my mentors, I decided to take a Life Break. When will I ever be able to pursue my passion for traveling with no strings attached? I've got two college degrees, a job lined up for July, no apartment or house to pay rent on, no romantic relationship to worry about (not that I wouldn't love to have one), so why not just leave the country and indulge in my passion for traveling? I am certainly going to miss friends and family back home, but the time is right, so I am going to embrace it. Here goes traveling for the next 7 months, sprinkled by visits back home. By the time I am done, I will have been to all of the continents (except Antarctica) in my life. It's not a Christmas Break, or a Spring Break, but a Life Break. Game on!

Here's the tentative itinerary:
Jan 2-8, Egypt
Jan 14-16, Chicago
Jan 23-Feb 23, Australia and New Zealand
Mar 13-Apr 9, Chile
May, June, July for Alaska, Spain, Greece, and maybe Ukraine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment