Sunday, August 7, 2011

Desafío

Desafío is Spanish for "challenge". While "challenge" doesn't necessarily define this trip to Costa Rica, I think it will certainly define what I have waiting for me back in the States.

But first, Costa Rica.

This trip to Costa Rica can definitely be defined as fun! I was with close friends, in a beautiful country, creating great memories, and living la pura vida! My favorites were zip lining (for sure!), the sea turtles, and swimming in the waterfalls in the middle of the jungle.

Costa Rica in general is very hot, humid, and sticky. It comes from being 9 degrees north of the equator, and it was rainy season. Nevertheless, we were blessed with great weather the entire week we were there! Blue skies for all but the first and last day! Because of the tropical climate, Costa Rica is very lush and green and there are beautiful flowers everywhere! Reds, pinks, purples, blues! So beautiful!

There is little to no air conditioning in Costa Rica. Homes, hotels, hostels, restaurants, stores, markets, you name it. Most establishments have you sweating when you step inside and sweating when you're leaving. There is also little to no hot water in Costa Rica. I'm totally ok with this though, as the shower was often my only break from the heat (until you turn off the water and you start sweating again). There's just no relief from the heat and sweat. I started becoming more accustomed to the heat by the end of the week, but I was still unable to sleep more than a few hours each night because it was so hot.

The sun sets also so early! Around 6:00 pm! In Georgia at this time of year the sun sets at 9 pm. Because the sun sets so early, businesses close early. Sometimes it was difficult to find a restaurant that was still open for dinner. So since the sun sets early, it also rises early, around 5:00 am. Consequently, the town wakes up very early, businesses open by 6 am, and our days are starting early too.

Costa Ricans are very friendly people. They are open and warm and very willing to help if you have questions. You have to take their responses with a grain of salt though. When you ask someone a question (like directions to a place), and they don't know the answer, then they make one up. They'd rather do this than admit they don't know the answer. You also have to be very aware of your surroundings, especially where you park your car, making sure that you leave no bags in it as car theft is quite common.

Unfortunately, there is a lot more English spoken in Costa Rica than I expected. In fact, Costa Rica, in general, is very touristy. This really threw me off. I was expecting Costa Rica to be more like Chile, where only Spanish was spoken, and if you couldn't communicate in Spanish, then no one would give you the time of day. It was quite the challenge in Chile, but not so much in Costa Rica, sadly.

In Costa Rica I have found that people just start speaking to you in English because you are white. I like to respond in Spanish and practice my Spanish. I haven't lost much if the language since Chile so I was very excited about that. Costa Ricans are also WAY easier to understand than Chileans. Where Chileans mumble, drop letters, and quickly run words together, Costa Ricans speak in a clear, slower manner and use less slang. It has been enjoyable speaking Spanish here, and I have understood most of what I have heard spoken, which is exciting!

However, I was disappointed by the tourism in Costa Rica. I understand that it is a big industry for them, but when I travel to a country, I want to use your currency and speak your language. Do not cater to me. I could have paid for mostly everything in US dollars... in fact, based on the exchange rates, it was cheaper to pay in dollars than in the local colones! Such a bummer!

All in all, what an awesome trip. It had its discomforts (mainly in the heat and sketchy accommodations), but the trip had way more positives, like blue skies, friendly people, fantastic company, adventurous activities, and all around fun times :)

I am currently on the flight back to the States. I am taking the red eye from San Jose to Fort Lauderdale, Florida and then connecting to Atlanta. I should get in to Atlanta on Sunday morning, and then I start work with Deloitte on Monday! Of course, I have my black eye and stitches to show off on the first day.

I cannot believe that this day has come. August 8th (my start date) has been looming in the distance ever since I accepted my job offer back in November. I am so blessed and fortunate to have had this time off, and further blessed to have had the opportunity to spend most of it abroad. Seeing the world, experiencing different cultures, exploring new landscapes, doing some exhilarating activities, learning about myself, feeling God in my life; I take none of this for granted and am thankful for every moment- every trail hiked, every mountain climbed, every ocean/lake/river swam in; and also every dollar spent, every tire popped, every obstacle met.

Since graduation from Tech in December, I've been to Egypt, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, some quick trips to New York, Chicago, Michigan, and Oklahoma, and then on to Alaska and Costa Rica. I've been to six of the seven continents! Who wants to plan a trip to Antarctica?!

My start date has been steadily approaching for eight months now. Sometimes I've had feelings of anxiety or apprehension, but now I can say that I am ready. Ready to start this new phase of my life, to test the waters in the corporate world, and to see what consulting has in store for me. I have accepted that this will probably be a difficult and long transition for me into the working world, but I am prepared to face the challenge, el desafío. New adventures await!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I liked your blog and following it. I have an interesting blog. You should follow it! Thanks..

    http://antalya-magnificent-city.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete